Want to live more sustainably in 2021, but don't know where to start? Read on as we count down the top 5 eco-friendly habits that make a difference for the planet and aren't too hard to adopt.
5. Ditch single-use plastics. There are so many practical alternatives on the market (ahem) that can motivate you to ditch these often unrecyclable plastics for good. For starters:
4. Look for local first. "Shop local" is a buzzy phrase for a reason. A world of good can come from this one habit, which:
Of course, it's tough to buy everything local, but you can commit to some of the easier categories, such as food, gifts, decor, and skincare. You might even discover new favorite shops in the process!
3. Don't buy porquerías (a.k.a crap). If we learned anything in 2020, it's that we don't really need that much stuff. We're not saying deny yourself small pleasures (like FINALLY wearing a new outfit!), but rather discovering the pleasure of simplifying your life. Next time you're in line at Zara (the worst-offending "fast-fashion" giant 💔), ask yourself:
2. Make beef a rare affair. We know, we know.... Everyone keeps yelling about it and you just want to eat your churrasco in peace. But drastically reducing beef consumption is THE most practical, immediate way individuals can make a difference, given the serious environmental impacts of excessive cattle ranching: dangerous methane emissions, rampant deforestation, water and land scarcity, to name a few.
1. Increase your footprint. You read that right. Minimizing your personal carbon footprint is a noble goal, but the focus of individuals should be on using their power to support a collective movement towards sustainability. If you do nothing else in 2021, resolve to increase your "climate action" footprint. As Fernando Tormos, public policy professor at University of Maryland, previously advised, contributing your time, talents, network, and/or money to grassroots environmental organizations will ensure the biggest return on your effort investment . If you're in Puerto Rico, Fernando recommends helping out:
That doesn't sound so hard, does it? Remember: Resolutions aren't about being perfect. But they are about being better. And who doesn't want better in 2021?